PALESTINE, Texas (March 7, 2017) – The 2017 City of Palestine Spring Cleanup Day will be Saturday, March 18 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cleanup items will be accepted at the City of Palestine Transfer Station, 30440 Hwy 79 E, located 1 mile outside of the city limits. The City of Palestine, in conjunction with Keep Palestine Beautiful, conducts a citywide Cleanup Day twice a year.
The cleanup day allows residents living within the Palestine city limits an opportunity to clear their property of unwanted items at no cost to the resident. This can make a big difference in the overall appearance of a home or lot.
“The bi-annual cleanup is a great opportunity for our residents to dispose of unwanted waste free of charge,” said City of Palestine Public Works Director Tim Perry, “This service is scheduled prior to the two major festivals each year to help provide our residents an additional way to be able to make the best impression to these visitors each year.”
Items accepted at the transfer station include:
• Yard waste including limbs, brush and leaves.
• Solid waste including household garbage, furniture, lumber, shingles and dried paint.
• Metal items including sheet metal, pipe, scrap iron and cast iron.
• Large appliances including refrigerators, washers, dryers, A/C units, televisions.
• Tires including car tires and light truck tires only. No tractor or large truck tires will be allowed.
• All tires must be separated from the rims. A limit of 10 tires per resident.
Items not accepted at the transfer station:
• Electronics - computers, laptops, mainframes, peripherals, telephones including cell phones, fax machines, printers copiers.
• No household chemicals, such as drain cleaners, liquid paint, cleaning supplies,
• Herbicides, pesticides, automotive fluids or acids
To be allowed to dump items free of charge during the clean-up day, proof of address must be shown. This could be a driver’s license or water bill. If these items cannot be produced, the person will not be allowed to drop off items. This event is not intended for commercial haulers or contractors.
Elderly and disabled residents may call the City of Palestine Public Works Department at 903- 731-8423 to apply for curbside pickup by Keep Palestine Beautiful and the Anderson County Adult Probation Services on Cleanup Day. The two organizations partner each year to offer curbside service for those residents who are unable to transport items. The city curates the list for the two organizations on cleanup day.
The deadline to get on the list for elderly and disabled pickup is 4 p.m. Thursday, March 16. All items must be at the curb by no later than 7 a.m. on the day of the cleanup.
The brush management/compost site will not be open during the cleanup; however, brush may be taken to the transfer station as part of the cleanup program. The same requirements for proof of address will be required to leave items.
For additional information please call the Public Works Department at 903-731-8423.